I have been practicing law for well over 20 years. I initially started in Chicago at the law firm Wildman Harrold (now Locke Lord) – which at the time was one of the City’s largest firms – then for Lovells (now Hogan Lovells), one of the world’s largest firms. At both, I centered my practice in the world of complex commercial litigation.
After six years in Chicago, I moved to West Michigan and continued my practice with Grand Rapid’s flagship firm, Law Weathers (President Gerald R. Ford’s old firm), where I became the first minority partner in that firm’s long and prestigious history.
My experience is not limited to large firms, however. After nearly a decade with Law Weathers, I left and formed my own firm and have been a small firm owner for many years since. In addition to the commercial litigation, employment and contested probate work described on this site, my practice includes both business counseling and transactional work. I have found over the years that advising executives, managers and owners on how to navigate challenging legal and regulatory issues is often as important as defending or prosecuting claims on their behalf.
In my long career I have worked on a broad variety of claims, including but not limited to:
- Appellate work;
- Intellectual property law (especially trademark, trade dress, and copyright);
- Commercial contracts;
- Consumer Protection and Unfair Trade Practices;
- Corporate Espionage and Theft of Trade Secrets;
- UCC Actions and General Civil Litigation;
- Valuation, Buying, and/or Selling homes and businesses;
- Real Property disputes of all types;
- Negotiating and drafting Easements;
- Forwarding, repossession licensing, and collateral recovery law;
- Business and employment counseling;
- Contract review and drafting;
- Municipal Litigation;
- Personal Injury and Accidents;
- Partnership and Membership Disputes;
- Insurance Coverage and Defense;
- Working with Lobbyists to change statutes before the Michigan Legislature;
And much more. If you or your business have any questions or concerns, feel free to give me a call to discuss.